Name: Marie Besançon
Academic Title: Associate Professor / Research Fellow
Email Address: email@example.com
Dr. Besançon is currently writing about the Sudanese Muslim Brothers while a research fellow at the University of Khartoum, Sudan. She is also an associate professor at Portland State University and a senior fellow with the Trans Research Consortium. Additionally, her research encompasses state and regional alliances in the Horn of Africa.
From 2010 to 2013, Marie was the lead officer for the Socio-Cultural Research and Advisory Team at the Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa in Djibouti where she did research, writing, and training in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Uganda, and Kenya.
After earning her PhD in Political Science from Claremont Graduate School, Marie was a post doc, research fellow, and senior fellow at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government from 2002-2009 in the International Security Program at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. During this tenure, she was an adjunct professor at Northeastern University and co-taught classes at Harvard’s Kennedy School.
Dr. Besançon was also an associate with the Initiative on Religion in International Affairs at the Kennedy School, and a visiting scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington DC simultaneously with a fellowship at the Hauser Center for Non Profits at Harvard. After visiting Darfur in 2005, Dr. Besançon founded Homes for Sudan (a nonprofit organization) with the late Nader Khalili from the California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture.
• ‘The Evolution of an Islamist.’ Wilson Quarterly, Winter 2016
• ‘The Soldier and the Street: East African CIMIC, Somalia and Beyond.’ 2015. PRISM. Vol. 5, No. 2
• “’China’s Growing Presence in Africa’ – ‘Sino-African Union Cooperation in Peace and Security’: Views of African and Chinese Scholars’” 2013 [CJTF-HOA Report]
• ‘Uganda Karamoja VETCAP: Partnering with UPDF and NGOs.’ 2012. [CJTF-HOA Report]
• ‘Al Shabaab: Diminishing Influence or New Strategies?’ 2012. [CJTF-HOA Report]
• ‘Obock MEDCAP- Optometry and Dental.’ (Evaluation of Medical Civic Action Program in Northern Djibouti) 2011. [CJTF-HOA Report]
• ‘Dire Dawa-Ethiopia: Local Views of U.S. Military Operations.’ 2010. [CJTF-HOA Report]
• ‘Somalia / Al-Shabaab Recruiting and Finance.’ 2010 [CJTF-HOA Report]
• ‘Islam into the Fold.’ [submitted /APSR, World Politics - under revision and updating]
• ‘Blessed are the Peacemakers’ – Case Study on Senator Danforth as Special Envoy to the Sudan. 2009. [Harvard Kennedy School of Government- CR14-09-1905.0]
• ‘Government structure, strength, and effectiveness.’ 2008. Book Chapter in The Design and Use of Political Economy Indicators: Challenges of definition, Aggregation, and Application Eds. King Banaian, Bryan Roberts. Palgrave Macmillan.
• ‘Facing a Fragile Situation in Darfur.’ 2007. Boston Globe OPED
• ‘Relative Resources: Economic Inequality in Ethnic Wars, Revolutions and Genocide.’ 2005. Journal of Peace Research. Vol. 42, No. 4.
• ‘Measuring Capacity and Willingness for Poverty Reduction in Difficult Environments.’ 2005. DFID Paper
• Good Governance Rankings: The Art of Measurement. 2003. World Peace Foundation Reports, no. 36.
• ‘Women in the Northern Ireland Peace Process: A Novel Use of Expected Utility in Bridging the Gap between the Quantitative Scholars and the Policy Pundits.’ 2003. Boston Consortium on Gender, Security and Human Rights Working Paper No. 101
• ‘Effect of hypokalemia on the abundance of HK alpha 1 and HK alpha 2 protein in the rat kidney.’ 1997. (Kraut JA; Hiura J; Besancon M; Smolka A; Sachs G; Scott D) Am J Physiol. 272 (6 Pt 2): F744-50.
• ‘Acid secretion and Helicobacter pylori.’ 1997. (Sachs G; Meyer-Rosberg K; Scott DR; Melchers K; Shin J; Besancon M) Digestion. 58 Suppl 1: 8-13.
• ‘Sites of reaction of the gastric H,K-ATPase with extracytoplasmic thiol reagents.’ 1997. (Besancon M; Simon A; Sachs G; Shin JM) J Biol Chem; 272 (36): 22438-46.
• ‘Structural aspects of the gastric H,K ATPase.’ 1997. (Shin JM; Besancon M; Bamberg K; Sachs G) Ann NY Acad Sci; 834: 65-76.
• ‘Turnover of the gastric H+, K+-Adenosine triphosphatase a subunit and its effect on inhibition of rat gastric acid secretion.’ 1995. (K. Gedda, D. Scott, M. Besancon, P. Lorentzon G. Sachs) Gastroenterology: Vol 109: Issue 4:1134-1141.
• ‘Gastric acid secretion: activation and inhibition.’ 1994. (Sachs G; Prinz C; Loo D; Bamberg K; Besancon M; Shin JM) Yale J Biol Med; 67 (3-4): 81-95.
• ‘Continuing development of acid pump inhibitors: site of action of pantoprazole.’ 1994. (Shin JM; Besancon M; Prinz C; Simon A; Sachs G) Aliment Pharmacol Ther; 8 Suppl 1: 11-23.
• ‘Antibody epitope mapping of the gastric H+/K(+)-ATPase.’ 1993. (Mercier F; Bayle D; Besancon M; Joys T; Shin JM; Lewin MJ; Prinz C; Reuben MA; Soumarmon A; Wong H; et al) Biochim Biophys Acta; 1149 (1): 151-65.
• ‘The site of action of pantoprazole in the gastric H+/K(+)-ATPase.’ 1993. (Shin JM; Besancon M; Simon A; Sachs G) Biochim Biophys Acta; 1148 (2): 223-33.
• ‘Membrane topology and omeprazole labeling of the gastric H+,K(+)-adenosinetriphosphatase.’ 1993. (Besancon M; Shin JM; Mercier F; Munson K; Miller M; Hersey S; Sachs G) Biochemistry; 32 (9): 2345-55.
• ‘The continuing development of gastric acid pump inhibitors.’ 1993. (Sachs G; Shin JM; Besancon M; Prinz C) Aliment Pharmacol Ther; 7 Suppl 1 4-12, discussion 29-31.
• ‘Chemomechanical coupling in the gastric H,K ATPase.’ 1992. (Besancon M; Shin JM; Mercier F; Munson K; Rabon E; Hersey S; Sachs G) Acta Physiol Scand Suppl; 607: 77-88.
• ‘Topology and sites in the H,K-ATPase.’ 1992. (Sachs G; Shin JM; Besancon M; Munson K; Hersey S) Ann N Y Acad Sci; 671: 204-16.
• ‘Structural aspects of the gastric H,K-ATPase.’ 1992. (Sachs G; Besancon M; Shin JM; Mercier F; Munson K; Hersey S) J Bioenerg Biomembr; 24 (3): 301-8.