Statistician and Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School
Work Phone: (617) 495-5268
Travis research examines the influence of environmental, economic, and security crises on political behavior and public policy preferences. His research also investigates topics in international political economy, including the politics of foreign direct investment and the dynamics of international development.
Travis' research spans a wide-range of topics in political science. His most recent work uses experimental methods to explore the relationship between human security crises and political behavior. This research examines a diverse set of crises, from terrorism and economic decline (with Jennifer L. Merolla and Elizabeth J. Zechmeister) to global environmental threats (with Mirya R. Holman). Travis is also involved in an on-going project on the dynamics of human development (with Mark A. Abdollahian and Birol Yesilada) and the political economy of foreign direct investment (with Tadeusz Kugler).
Travis' research has appeared in International Studies Quarterly, International Interactions, Political Psychology, and Social Science Quarterly, among others. He holds a Ph.D. in Political Science and a M.A. in International Political Economy from Claremont Graduate University, as well as a B.A. in Economics from California State University, Chico. For more information on Travis and links to his research, see www.travisgcoan.com.
Other related research work, publication, websites, and links
- Mark Abdollahian, Travis G. Coan, Hana Oh, and Birol Yesilada. 2012. Dynamics of Cultural Change: the Human Development Perspective." International Studies Quarterly: 1-17.
- Travis G. Coan, Jennifer L. Merolla, Jennifer Ramos, and Elizabeth J. Zechmeister. 2010. Engage Abroad, Protect at Home," in Jennifer Merolla and Elizabeth Zechmeister's Democracy at Risk: How Terrorist Threats Affect the Public. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2010.
- Travis G. Coan and Mirya R. Holman. 2008. "Voting Green." Social Science Quarterly, 89(5): 1121-1135.
- Travis G. Coan and Tadeusz Kugler. 2008. "The Politics of Foreign Direct Investment: An Interactive Framework." International Interactions, 34: 402-422.
- Travis G. Coan, Jennifer L. Merolla, Laura Stephenson, and Elizabeth J. Zechmeister. 2008. "It's Not Easy Being Green: Minor Party Labels as Heuristic Aids." Political Psychology, 29(3): 389-405.
- Travis G. Coan, Jennifer L. Merolla, and Elizabeth J. Zechmeister. "Emotional Responses to Human Security Threats: Evidence from a National Experiment." Working Paper, 2012.
- Travis G. Coan and Mirya R. Holman. "Evaluating Political and Environmental Behavior in the Face of a Green Crisis: An Experimental Analysis." Under Review, 2012.
- Constantine Boussalis and Travis G. Coan. "'Balance as Bias' Revisited: Harnessing the Power of Text-Mining to Understand Media Coverage of Climate Change," Working Paper, 2012.
- Principal Investigator for the World Values Survey in Cyprus.